The Casa de Mateus was built in the first half of
the 18th Century by António José Botelho Mourão (1688-1746), 3rd
Morgado of Mateus. The chapel was finished by his son, D. Luís
António de Sousa Botelho Mourão (1722-1798).
The architectural design of the house, ex-libris of the Portuguese
baroque, is attributed to the great Italian architect Nicolau Nasoni
and manages to harmonize the traditionally comfortable dimensions of
the Portuguese noble house to the baroque exhuberance displayed in
the main façade, the decorative motifs of the roofs and in the
chapel designed by Master José Álvares do Rego.